You might have heard a lot about “Low Carb Diets” before, you might have frowned upon them because you thought they are “starving diets”.
What if I told you low carb diets are not “starving diets” and they are proven to help with weight loss?
Low carbohydrate diets are without the sugar, the starches, the frozen dinners, so on and so forth. Instead, you will be eating healthy, natural foods which include lots and lots of vegetables.
There are several different ways you can start a low carbohydrate diet. When you plan your diet, remember some factors play into it, how much weight you want to lose, how healthy your body is now, how much exercise you do, so on and so forth. Below is a list that will help you with your diet.
- Foods you should and shouldn’t eat.
- Snacks and drinks that are good and bad for you.
- A one-week diet/meal plan.
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Foods You Should and Should Not Eat
- 2 2. Drinks That Are Okay and Not Okay
- 3 3. Snacks You Can Eat
- 4 4. Restaurant Advice
- 5 5. Meal Plan for a Week
1. Foods You Should and Should Not Eat
Food That You Should Eat
- Fish (Wild caught, trout, salmon)
- Meat ( Grass fed, pork, chicken)
- Vegetables (Carrots, Broccoli, Spinach)
- Eggs (pastured eggs)
- Nuts/Seeds (Walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds)
- Fruits (Strawberries, pears, blueberries)
- Natural Fats/Oils ( Butter, coconut oil, olive oil)
- Dairy ( Butter, cheese, yogurt (that is not fat-free))
Food That You Should Not Eat
- Sugar (Most definitely #1)
- Starch (This means no more pasta, bread, rice, so forth and so on)
- Processed Foods
- Bad fats ( For an example, trans fat)
- Low-fat products
Note: It is very easy to overeat on the cheese, nuts, and even fruit. Try only eating one piece of fruit a day and possibly a serving of the cheese and nuts. Of course, this is only for the people who want to lose weight.
Now, if you do not have/need to lose weight, then you can eat a little bit more food and have some more food products added to your diet. These foods can be:
- Sweet and regular potatoes
- Beans (pinto beans, black beans, so forth and so on)
- Oats, Rice, (anything that’s non-gluten grains)
- Dark Chocolate (Organic Brands are the best bet)
2. Drinks That Are Okay and Not Okay
Drinks That Are Okay
- Wine. Every once in a while is fine. Try dry wines with no carbs or sugars added.
- Water is the number one choice in diet and just regular consumption.
- Tea. Do not add any sugar. If you have to, use Splenda.
- Coffee without sugar. Use Splenda if it is a must.
- Sparkling water and carbonated beverages that are sugar-free.
Drinks That Aren’t Okay
- Any drinks that include artificial sweeteners. (For an example, aspartame.)
- Fruit juices
- Non-alcoholic Beverages (Soda is a case in point).
Note: Water is always your best bet when it comes to dieting and just a daily livelihood. However, these other drinks are okay, but try to limit the consumption. It is very easy to overdo it without realizing you are doing it.
3. Snacks You Can Eat
Here is a list of meals you can eat if you get hungry. Low carb diet is not supposed to make you hungry. If you are, you need to add more healthy fats to your meals. However, everyone wants to snack once in a while. Here is a list of meals that you can eat.
- Hard boiled eggs. You can even use mayonnaise if you want.
- A handful of nuts. Make sure not to overeat as this can happen.
- Vegetable sticks. Carrots have more carbs than other veggies. Try using baby carrots.
- You can use high fat, low carb dipping sauce. Such as cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream.
- Blueberries have the most carbs.
- Yogurt that’s full in fat
- Make sure not to overdo it. Try only eating a piece.
- Meat or cheese
- If you have any leftovers from the day before, you can turn them into a light snack.
4. Restaurant Advice
We all go out to a restaurant once in a while. However, that does not mean you cannot have your low carb meal.
Here are some tips that you can use when you are eating out with the family or friends.
- Ask if the cooks can fry your food in real butter
- Add extra vegetables to your meal instead of getting bread, rice, or potatoes
- For the main dish, get fish or meat preferably salmon, trout, pork, or chicken
5. Meal Plan for a Week
Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables
Lunch: Salmon and spinach
Dinner: Chicken casserole with pesto and olives
Breakfast: Eggs and bacon
Lunch: Salad with chicken and olive oil
Dinner: Pork chops with pesto
Breakfast: Omelet with fruits and veggies
Lunch: Olive oil with shrimp salad
Dinner: Meatloaf with bacon
Breakfast: Porridge with raspberries and coconut
Lunch: Ground beef wrapped in a tortilla with salsa
Dinner: Steak with veggies
Breakfast: Breakfast sandwich with no bread
Lunch: Fish and coconut
Dinner: Beef stroganoff (low fat)
Breakfast: Smoothie with berries and coconut milk
Lunch: Salad with bacon, almonds, and goat cheese
Dinner: Cheeseburger with veggies and no bread
Breakfast: Sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and bacon with no bread
Lunch: Yogurt with berries
Dinner: Fish with coconut
The best diet to try without starving yourself is a low carbohydrate diet. There have been numerous successful stories of people trying this diet and being happy with it.
To begin, throw out all the “tempting, bad foods,” and then go shopping at an organic store if you have one near you. Stock up using this guide on all the foods that will help you with this diet. Buy the foods that you want to eat but also keep in my mind the goals you want to succeed in.
Soon, this diet will not be a “diet” but a lifestyle.